TOP 10 BENEFITS OF CHIA SEEDS
Everyone says these things are real good for you, this is why!
1. Omega-3 fatty acids - one of the richest plant-based sources of these fatty acids, they can reduce inflammation, enhance cognitive performance and reduce high cholesterol.
2. Fiber - 10 grams of fiber in only 2 tbsp! associated with reducing inflammation, lowering cholesterol, and regulating bowel function.
3. Antioxidants - these protect the body against free radicals, aging and cancer!
4. Minerals - contains nutrients that help prevent hypertension, maintain healthy weight, and are important for energy metabolism and a part of DNA synthesis(creation of DNA molecules)!
5. Satiety - combination of protein, fiber, and the gelling action when mixed with liquids all contribute to their satiating effects.
6. Gluten-Free - no gluten or grains!
7. Egg replacer - mix 1 tbsp with 3 tbsp water and let sit for 15 minutes. Will lower cholesterol and increase nutrient content of food! and its vegan.
8. Can be digested as a whole - unlike flax seeds with are also high in omega-3 fatty acids, fiber and minerals, chia seeds do not need to be ground up to obtain nutritional benefits.
9. Dyslipidemia - showed to reduce triglycerides and bad cholesterol, while increasing good cholesterol or HDL.
10. Blood sugar regulation - regulate insulin levels, reducing insulin resistance and decreasing high levels of insulin in the blood.
(Original Link for chia seed facts)
Now that we know how good CHIA SEEDS are for us.. how and where do we use them in our cooking? Here are one and two great links I found with fun easy recipes! I am definitely going to try some of these out and post them soon. Time to put chia seeds in something other than my smoothies.